Transit Assistance Program (TAP)
Ride for $1 with the Transit Assistance Program (TAP)
The Transit Assistance Program (TAP) is designed to make public transit more affordable for lower income residents. TAP provides a reduced fare pass on a Go-To Card. It allows customers to use a bus or train for just $1 per ride – even during rush hour – with a 2½ hour transfer.
Signing up is easy!
- Show a photo ID card or utility statement with your name and address and an accepted document (see below) to show that you meet the income guidelines
- Apply online or at one of our locations
- Once approved, Metro Transit will add the discount pass to a new Go-To card or your existing card – then just add value and go!
How to add value to your TAP card
- Online with a credit card
- By phone at 612-373-3333 with a credit card
- By mail with a credit card or check. Call 612-373-3333 for a mail order form
- At rail ticket machines with cash or credit card
- Automatically from a credit card. Sign up at metrotransit.org/AutoRefill
Using your TAP card
To activate the discount, add money to your TAP card and go! Go-To Cards with a TAP pass have all the same benefits of any Go-To Card – like storing transfers and balance protection. Riders have access to the $1 fare for a full year after the first use. The discounted price is not valid on Metro Mobility or Transit Link buses and only a partial discount is applied on Northstar fares. TAP riders also receive a discounted $2.50 fare on SW Prime. Customers can renew their TAP pass after one year if still eligible.
Apply for TAP in person or online
- Fill out the application
- Upload scans or photos of your ID and accepted document (see full list below)
In person: We accept all forms of ID used for same-day voting in the state of Minnesota.
- Burnsville Transit Station – 100 Highway 13, Burnsville | 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Marschall Road Transit Station – 1615 Weston Court, Shakopee | 7 a.m. - 3:20 p.m. M-F
- Minneapolis Metro Transit Service Center – 719 Marquette Avenue, Minneapolis | 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- St. Paul Metro Transit Service Center – US Bank Center Skyway 101 E. 5th Street, St. Paul | 8:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. & 12:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
- SouthWest Transit Station – 13500 Technology Drive, Eden Prairie | 6:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
TAP Distribution Partners
- A growing number of agencies and community organizations can distribute TAP Go-To Cards
If your pass is lost or stolen: Contact Customer Relations at 612-373-3333.
If your pass doesn’t work: Make sure it isn’t expired. Your TAP Go-To Card is active for one year, so you may need to reapply. Each time you use the reader to pay your fare, the TAP discount date will be displayed. You can also check both the expiration and your balance online or by calling Customer Relations at 612-373-3333.
Your Go-To Card will temporarily place your funds on hold if unused for 28 days. This can affect any Go-To Card, not just one with a TAP pass. Touch it to a card reader and the computer system will reactivate the funds 24 hours later.
HOUSING & HOMELESS
HEALTH CARE PROGRAMS
Check back for a growing list of approved certificates.
Q. What about other members of my family? Do they qualify?
- Only family members listed on an approved document will qualify.
- Children 5 years old and under ride for free. No ID is required.
- Other family members may qualify if documented as a qualified household member by certain organizations.
- Non-low income certified persons 6-12 years old and 65 and older qualify for a Reduced Fare card that are valid for 10 years or until a youth’s 13th birthday. You can order those when you stop by our Service Centers or mail in a photo copy of an ID card.
- Persons with disabilities may apply for a Limited Mobility card that is valid for 10 years. Call for an enrollment packet or get one here.
Q. How do I renew my TAP pass after my year is up?
Your TAP discount will end after 365 days after the first use. If you still meet the income requirements you can re-enroll up to two months before expiration. Customers can renew at a Transit Service Center (see above), through a partner organization or by visiting an open enrollment site. You will need to bring both an ID and one of the accepted documents.
Q. How do I know when my discount will end?
Each time you use the reader to pay your fare, the TAP discount date will be displayed. You can also check both the expiration and your balance online.
Interested in being a distributor of TAP in your community?
Details for organizations on how to become a TAP partner.