Metro Transit App
The official Metro Transit app is here! Now you can plan your trip, see arrival information for bus and trains and buy transit tickets all on the go! Download the free app on Google Play or iTunes.
Look for this icon > > > >
The Metro Transit app is a tool to make riding easier. After you’ve found your trip and departure time, you can buy and use Metro mobile tickets right from your smartphone – it’s like having a Metro ticket machine right in your pocket! Ride when you want, wherever you want!
Read our Terms & Conditions.
Why you'll love this app
About fares on the app:
- No paper tickets to keep track of
- No need to carry cash, count exact change or find a ticket machine
- Store tickets on your phone for future use
- Pay a single fare or multiple fares for a group of riders
- Great for special events
Pay a single fare or multiple fares for a group of riders, and store multiple tickets on your phone for future use.
Find the right bus, light rail or Northstar train through the Trip Planner
See the next available bus, light rail or Northstar train for your desired trip with NextTrip
Check your Go-To Card balance and add value
Contact Metro Transit staff with the Text for Safety tool
Register and manage your Guaranteed Ride Home account
Register and manage your Carpool account
Simply create an account or use your metrotransit.org account* and enter your credit/debit card information in our secure system.
If you don't want to use a credit card, you can use a pre-paid debit card or use PayPal. (Note: pre-paid gift cards are not accepted.)
Rush Hour Fare: Valid Monday through Friday 6-9 am & 3-6:30 pm on local buses, METRO and A Line.
Non-Rush Hour Fare: Valid for non-rush hour times on local buses, METRO and A Line.
All-Day Pass: Valid any day of the week from time of activation through 2 a.m. on local buses, METRO and A Line.
Weekend All-Day Pass: Valid on weekends (Friday 6:30 p.m. through Monday 2 a.m.) from time of activation through 2 a.m. the next day on local buses, METRO and A Line.
Express Rush Hour Fare: Valid on all Express bus service, including Monday through Friday 6-9 a.m. & 3-6:30 p.m. NOTE: Same rules apply to Mobility Express fare as well.
Please Note: The app is currently displaying incorrect messaging when customers attempt to activate a weekend fare during the weekday time frame. While the messaging is innaccurate, the tickets still function properly during the weekend period, Friday 6:30 p.m. through Monday at 2 a.m.
How it works
To buy a ticket:
1. SELECT SERVICE: Northstar, Bus/METRO
2. SELECT RIDER TYPE: Adult, Youth/Senior/Medicare, Mobility, Family
3. SELECT: Station for Northstar or time based fare for Bus/METRO
3. CHOOSE QUANTITY: You can buy multiple tickets to use later.
4. CHECKOUT: Pay with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover or PayPal (Note: pre-paid gift cards are not accepted).
To use a ticket:
1. Open the app on your phone, and select “My Tickets” from the menu on the left of the screen.
2. Select any of the tickets listed under “Stored Tickets.” A window will pop up that asks, “Would you like to use this ticket?” Select “Use Ticket."
3. The ticket will then activate, and you will see an animation. The expiration date will display at the top of the ticket. Tapping on the left-facing arrow at the top left of your active ticket will return you to the “My Tickets” screen. Your active ticket will be shown at the top of the list, under “Tickets in Use.”
How to use multiple tickets
1. Purchase the correct number of tickets for your group.
2. Go to "My Tickets" and select “Multiple Riders” at the top right of the screen.
3. Select how many tickets you'd like to use by using the "+" and "-" tool next to your tickets
4. Once you have selected the tickets you would like to use, tap "Use Multiple" and you will see the tickets in use on the next screen
• Activate your ticket when you see your bus or train approaching. Your ticket must be activated before boarding a vehicle.
• If you get a new phone, don't uninstall the Metro Transit app or erase your phone without transferring your unused tickets first. Your tickets are stored on your phone (which makes it possible to use them without an internet connection), so uninstalling the app can permanently erase your tickets!