The official Metro Transit app is the best way to purchase fares on the go. Fares purchased through the app can be used immediately, or saved for future trips.
While trip planning features are available through the app, users may find it easier to plan trips using Metro Transit’s mobile website. Add a shortcut to your home screen to quickly access the mobile website and begin planning your trip.
Download the free app on Google Play or iTunes.
Look for this icon >
The Metro Transit app is a tool to make riding easier. After you’ve found your trip and departure time, you can buy and use mobile tickets right from your smartphone – it’s like having a METRO ticket machine right in your pocket! Ride when you want, wherever you want!
Read our Terms & Conditions.
Why you'll love this app
- No paper tickets to keep track of
- No need to carry cash, count exact change or find a ticket machine
- Store tickets on your phone for future use
- Pay a single fare or multiple fares for a group of riders
- Use Apple Pay or Google Pay to buy tickets
- Great for special events
- Pay a single fare or multiple fares for a group of riders, and store multiple tickets on your phone for future use
- Find the right bus, light rail or Northstar train through the tools like the Trip Planner and Schedules & Maps
- See the next available bus, light rail or Northstar train for your desired trip with NexTrip
- See active Rider Alerts
- Check your Go-To Card balance and add value
- Contact Metro Transit staff with the Text for Safety tool
- Register and manage your Guaranteed Ride Home account
- Register and manage your Carpool account
- Simply create an account or use your metrotransit.org account* and enter your credit/debit card information in our secure system
- If you don't want to use a credit card, you can use a pre-paid debit card or use PayPal (Note: pre-paid gift cards are not accepted)
About fares on the app:
Rush Hour Fare: Valid Monday through Friday 6-9 a.m. & 3-6:30 p.m. on local buses and METRO lines.
Non-Rush Hour Fare: Valid for non-rush hour times on local buses and METRO lines.
Express Rush Hour Fare: Valid on all Express bus service, including Monday through Friday 6-9 a.m. & 3-6:30 p.m. NOTE: Same rules apply to Mobility Express fare as well.
Northstar Fares: Purchase fare for the Northstar Line for roundtrip, one-way and station-to-station trips.
How it works
To buy a ticket:
1. SELECT SERVICE: Local Bus/METRO, Northstar, Express Bus
2. SELECT RIDER TYPE: Adult, Senior/Youth/Medicare, Mobility, Family Pass
3. SELECT: Station for Northstar or time-based fare for Local Bus/METRO
3. CHOOSE QUANTITY: You can buy multiple tickets to use later.
4. CHECKOUT: Pay with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Google Pay, Apple Pay or PayPal (Note: pre-paid gift cards are not accepted)
To use a ticket:
1. Open the app on your phone, and select "Tickets” from the menu on the bottom of the screen.
2. Select any of the tickets listed. At the bottom of the screen you will see a green box with "Use Ticket" and the number of tickets selected.
3. Tap on "Use Ticket" and ticket will then activate, and you will see an animation. The expiration date will display at the top of the ticket. Tapping "Done" (iOS) or the back arrow (Android) on your active ticket will return you to the “Tickets” screen. Your active ticket will be shown at the top of the list, under “In Use.”
How to use multiple tickets
1. Purchase the correct number of tickets for your group.
2. Go to "Tickets" and select the types of ticket needed.
3. Select how many tickets you'd like to use by using the up and down arrows tool next to the tickets. You can do this for multiple types of tickets at the same time.
4., At the bottom of the screen you will see a green box with "Use Tickets" and the number of tickets selected. Tap on "Use Ticket" and ticket will then activate, and you will see an animation.
• Activate your ticket(s) when you see your bus or train approaching. Your ticket(s) must be activated before boarding a vehicle.
• If you get a new phone, you can move your tickets from your old phone. Just install the Metro Transit app on the new phone and sign in with the same account you used on the old phone. You will see a prompt under "Tickets" asking if you want to move your tickets to the new device. Tap that and follow the prompts. Note: tickets can only be transferred a set number of times so only do this if you get a new device or need to reinstall the app.
• Do not use the same account over multiple phones at the same time (i.e. your phone and a child's phone). The app is set up to work best for one account per user. Tickets can transfer between devices if there are multiple phones with the same account riding at the the same time. Please ensure that everyone has their own account if you manage it for someone else.