Metro Transit App
The official Metro Transit app is here! Now you can plan your trip, see arrival information for bus and trains and buy transit tickets all on the go! Just download the free app on Google Play or iTunes.
Look for this icon > > > >
The Metro Transit app is a tool to make riding easier. After you’ve found your trip and departure time, you can buy and use Metro mobile tickets right from your smartphone – it’s like having a Metro ticket machine right in your pocket! Ride when you want, wherever you want!
If you are having issues creating an account through the app, create your account at metrotransit.org then sign in to the app using your metrotransit.org username and password.
Why you'll love this app
About fares on the app:
- No paper tickets to keep track of
- No need to carry cash, count exact change or find a ticket machine
- Store tickets on your phone for future use
- Pay a single fare or multiple fares for a group of riders
- Great for special events
Pay a single fare or multiple fares for a group of riders, and store multiple tickets on your phone for future use.
Find the right bus, light rail or Northstar train through the Trip Planner
See the next available bus, light rail or Northstar train for your desired trip with NextTrip
Simply create an account or use your metrotransit.org account* and enter your credit/debit card information in our secure system.
If you don't want to use a credit card, you can use a pre-paid debit card or use the PayPal Cash Card.
Fares on the app vary slightly from the normal fares you may see at a Ticket Machine or farebox. Due to the technology powering the app and an effort to simplify the fares on the app, Metro Transit will offer only Weekday and Weekend versions of tickets – no rush hour or non-rush-hour pricing – for buses and METRO lines.
Weekday Fare: Valid from 2 a.m. Monday through 6:30 p.m. Friday on all regular route service and non-rush hour Express buses.
Weekend Fare: Valid 6:30 p.m. Friday through 2 a.m. Monday
All-Day Pass: Valid any day of the week from time of activation through 2 a.m. on all regular route service and non-rush hour Express buses.
NOTE: At this time the mobile app is not accepted as payment for Rush Hour Express Fares.
About the minimum purchase amount:
To minimize transaction fees, you must spend at least $4.50 per purchase. While that likely means you may need buy more than one ticket at a time, please note that you don't have to activate any tickets/passes until you are ready to use them. When you buy tickets, they are stored in “My Tickets” – much like stored value on a Go-To Card stays there until you ride. Buy in advance so you're always ready when your bus or train pulls up!
How it works
To buy a ticket:
1. SELECT SERVICE: Northstar, Bus/METRO
2. SELECT RIDER TYPE: Adult, Youth/Senior/Medicare, Mobility, Family
3. SELECT: Station for Northstar or time based fare for Bus/METRO
3. CHOOSE QUANTITY: You can buy multiple tickets to use later. (A $4.50 minimum purchase is required.)
4. CHECKOUT: Pay with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover or PayPal
To use a ticket:
1. Open the app on your phone, and select “My Tickets” from the menu on the left of the screen.
2. Select any of the tickets listed under “Stored Tickets.” A window will pop up that asks, “Would you like to use this ticket?” Select “Use Ticket."
3. The ticket will then activate, and you will see an animation. The expiration date will display at the top of the ticket. Tapping on the left-facing arrow at the top left of your active ticket will return you to the “My Tickets” screen. Your active ticket will be shown at the top of the list, under “Tickets in Use.”
How to use multiple tickets
1. Purchase the correct number of tickets for your group.
2. Go to "My Tickets" and select “Multiple Riders” at the top right of the screen.
3. Select how many tickets you'd like to use by using the "+" and "-" tool next to your tickets
4. Once you have selected the tickets you would like to use, tap "Use Multiple" and you will see the tickets in use on the next screen
• Activate your ticket when you see your bus or train approaching. Your ticket must be activated before boarding a vehicle.
• If you get a new phone, don't uninstall the Metro Transit app or erase your phone without transferring your unused tickets first. Your tickets are stored on your phone (which makes it possible to use them without an internet connection), so uninstalling the app can permanently erase your tickets!