Bus Rapid Transit projects
Three BRT lines already provide transit service in the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area:
- The METRO Red Line travels on Cedar Avenue between Apple Valley and Mall of America.
- The METRO A Line travels mainly along Snelling Avenue and 46th Street, linking Rosedale with the METRO Blue Line’s 46th Street Station.
- The METRO C Line travels mainly along Penn Avenue, linking downtown Minneapolis with Brooklyn Center Transit Center.
Watch a video about why people like BRT.
Metro Transit is expanding the network of BRT lines:
- The METRO Orange Line follows I-35W between Burnsville and downtown Minneapolis is under construction and scheduled to open late 2021.
- The METRO D Line on Chicago and Emerson-Fremont Avenues will be constructed in 2021-2022.
- The METRO B Line on Lake Street and Marshall and Selby avenues is advancing through project planning and is scheduled to open in 2024.
- The METRO E Line on Hennepin and France avenues is also advancing through project planning and is planned to open in 2024, pending full funding.
- The METRO F Line will serve the Central Avenue corridor, largely replacing Route 10 from downtown Minneapolis to Northtown Mall via Central and University avenues. Sign up for F Line project emails to be notified when planning starts in early 2022.
- The METRO Gold Line will connect St. Paul, Maplewood, Landfall, Oakdale, and Woodbury generally along I-94 and is scheduled to open in 2024.
Metro Transit is currently studying more potential lines for implementation by 2040 through Network Next.
A faster trip
BRT is faster than standard local bus service. Here’s how:
A more comfortable experience
Enhanced shelters at BRT stations provide protection from the weather and a safe, comfortable and convenient customer waiting space. Features include:
- NexTrip signs
- Bike racks
- Information about the route, transit system and surrounding area
- Security cameras
- Emergency phones
- Enhanced lighting
- Push-button heating
- Ticket machines for buying a ticket using cash or credit card
- Litter and recycling containers
Senior Communications Specialist