Join our law enforcement team!
Help us keep one of the country's largest transit systems safe for customers.
We're a full-service 24-hour licensed police department that responds to, and investigates, all crimes occurring on Metro Transit property, including buses, light rail, commuter trains, facilities, and rights-of-way throughout eight counties and 85 cities. Our 120 full-time officers and 60 part-time officers are fully-sworn peace officers with the same powers of arrest as other city or county law enforcement agencies.
Since we cover everywhere regional transit buses and trains operate, our department has the fourth largest jurisdiction in Minnesota, and we're growing along with the expanding regional transit system.
We continue to grow and change to reflect the demographics in the communities we serve. Nearly half of our force is made up of women and people of color. And more than half of the officers in our 2017 recruit academy are women and people of color, and half of them speak more than one language, including Hmong, Laotian, Spanish, Somali, Arabic and Turkish.
We're committed to building on our community policing success through shared partnerships between officers and citizens.
Why not put your law enforcement career on the move and join us?
- Starting rate: $49,000 - $70,000 annually
- Vacation: 130 hours per year to start
- 8- or 10-hour shifts
- Health, life and dental insurance
- Longevity pay
- Overtime, holiday and night differential pay
- Annual uniform allowance
- Compensatory and funeral leave
- Retirement plan (PERA)
- Deferred compensation plan (MN State Retirement System)
- Annually, we provide more than 4,200 hours of continuing education to our officers
- United States citizenship
- Valid driver's license
- Current licensed police officer with the Minnesota POST Board, or eligible for licensing upon date of hire
- Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply
Career development - Specialized units
We have many specialized units to fulfill one mission: Protecting our community through innovation and problem solving.
- Explosives Detection (Canine)
- Accident Reconstruction
- Counter Threat Unit
- Crisis Intervention Team
- Bike Patrol
- Foot Patrol
- Mobile Patrol
- North Community Engagement Team
Apply now to join our team
Find out more about job openings and apply online at metrocouncil.org/jobs
The application process includes:
- Online application
- Oral interview
- Extensive background investigation
- Work performance test
- Medical, physical and psychological testing
Apply to work for Metro Transit Police
Your career as a Metro Transit Police officer begins with a 10-week academy. You'll receive initial classroom training as a probationary officer then you'll be assigned to a Field Training Officer and spend four months being evaluated by different FTOs. Upon successfully completing field training, you'll be assigned to a patrol area. After your 12-month probationary period ends, you'll be able to then bid patrol assignments based on seniority.