Join our law enforcement team!
Help us keep one of the country's largest transit systems safe for customers.
We're a full-service 24-hour licensed police department that responds to, and investigates, all crimes occurring on Metro Transit property, including buses, light rail, commuter trains, facilities, and rights-of-way throughout eight counties and 85 cities.
We're committed to building on our community policing success through shared partnerships between officers and citizens.
Why not put your law enforcement career on the move and join us?
Full-time Police Officers
Part-time Community Service Officers
- Starting rate: nearly $28/hour or almost $58,000 annually; by Year 4: nearly $40/hour or $82,000+ annually
- Vacation: 130 hours per year to start
- Health, life, and dental insurance
- Longevity pay
- Overtime, holiday, and night differential pay
- Annual uniform allowance
- Retirement plan (PERA)
- Deferred compensation plan (MN State Retirement System)
- Annually, we provide more than 4,200 hours of continuing education to our officers
- United States citizenship
- Valid driver's license
- Current licensed police officer with the Minnesota POST Board, or eligible for licensing upon date of hire
- Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply
Your career as a Metro Transit Police Officer begins with classroom learning about police work, as well as the Metro Transit system. After that, you'll be assigned to a Field Training Officer and spend four months being evaluated by different FTOs. Upon successfully completing field training, you'll be assigned to a patrol area. After your 12-month probationary period ends, you'll be able to then bid patrol assignments based on seniority.
Career development - Specialized units
We have many specialized units to fulfill one mission: Protecting our community through innovation and problem solving.
- Explosives Detection (Canine)
- Accident Reconstruction
- Counter Threat Unit
- Crisis Intervention Team
- Bike Patrol
- Foot Patrol
- Mobile Patrol
Metro Transit is hiring part-time Community Service Officers to provide varied support services to the department by performing duties that do not require a licensed peace officer. This is a uniformed non-sworn position that provides police visibility and customer relations to the public, with a focus on the transit riding community.
- Start at more than $21/hour
- Guaranteed monthly retirement income through Minnesota State Retirement System pension fund
- Deferred compensation (457) plan
- Medical, dental, life, and vision insurance
- Free health clinic
- Bus/rail pass
- A High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college or university program seeking a degree in a Law Enforcement related field
- Valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record
- Ability to regularly work a minimum of 20-25 hours per week
Apply now to join our team
Find out more about job openings and apply online at metrocouncil.org/jobs
The application process includes:
- Online application
- Oral interview
- Extensive background investigation
- Work performance test
- Medical, physical, and psychological testing
Apply to work for Metro Transit Police