Subscribe to B Line Update to get project and construction updates.
2024 Construction Map
Construction will begin on Lake Street west of Hiawatha Avenue starting in Spring 2024.
View the interactive map to see what will be constructed with the METRO B Line project and Lake Street improvements
Continued construction of the METRO B Line bus rapid transit project is scheduled to begin in Spring 2024.This 12-mile line will connect neighborhoods and destinations in Minneapolis and St. Paul.
Construction in 2024 will take place on Lake Street and Lagoon Avenue between France Avenue and Hiawatha Avenue
In Minneapolis, this project will construct pedestrian, bikeway and signal improvements, as well as pavement resurfacing, restriping, and painting of bus lanes on Lake Street. This work was planned and funded in coordination with Hennepin County and the City of Minneapolis.
A fiber optic network will be built along the length of the whole corridor to link technology at stations.
Construction is also being coordinated with other projects in the area:
- The B Line will serve stations in downtown St. Paul that will be constructed in 2023 and 2024 as part of the METRO Gold Line project.
- Stations at Lake & Nicollet, I-35W & Lake, and Lake & 4th/5th Avenue were mostly constructed as part of the METRO Orange Line project in 2020-2021.
- Stations at Lake Street / Midtown Station are being constructed through coordination with Hennepin County’s Hi-Lake Improvements project in 2024.
What to expect from construction
Metro Transit thanks residents, businesses and customers for their patience as crews work to get the B Line ready for an anticipated launch in June 2025.
Construction may have periods of street closures and detours, sidewalk closures, and intermittent noise. People should anticipate the following impacts:
- Construction at each station intersection will generally include new road and sidewalk sections, changes to traffic signals, and installation of new shelters and other station features.
- Pedestrian and signal improvements will be constructed at an additional 50+ intersections.
- Some locations will also include utility work and pedestrian or bikeway improvements.
- To improve pavement conditions, there will be street resurfacing on Lake Street and Lagoon Avenue.
- To improve transit speed and reliability, bus-only lanes will be implemented on portions of Lake Street and Lagoon Avenue
- Crews will install underground conduit for a fiber optic network along the length of the corridor to link technology at stations.
- In Minneapolis, construction will be staged to allow two-way traffic flow on Lake Street at all times, as well as allow traffic flow in the Lake & Lagoon sections of Uptown.
- Outreach staff will communicate with residents, businesses, and property owners within one block prior to construction starting at each new location.
- Sidewalk access will be maintained on at least one side of construction zones at all times. Pedestrian access to homes and businesses will be maintained.
- Buses will experience detours during construction. Up-to-date information can be found at metrotransit.org/alerts. Subscribe to Rider Alerts to keep up to date with bus detours and temporary stop locations