The Minnesota Department of Transportation is performing some much-needed repair on I-94 between Shingle Creek Parkway in Brooklyn Center and Nicollet Avenue in Minneapolis.
Metro Transit is working closely with MnDOT to reduce the impact of this very large construction project on transit routes and our customers. While we are working with MnDOT to minimize detours, there's no way around it: traffic will be slow in construction zones and sometimes a detour may be most efficient. Expect delays during lane closures and when bus-only shoulder use is prohibited.
Northstar is a great alternative
Get out of the lanes, get on the train! Northstar commuter service lets you avoid the backup and speeds you to and from downtown Minneapolis from several stations with ample, free parking. Once at Target Field Station, you can take the Blue or Green lines or ride Route 20 for service into downtown.
Here is the work that has been scheduled by MnDOT in coming weeks:
Current Ramp Closures
- • N. 53rd Ave. & N. 49th Ave. to eastbound I-94 (closed indefinitely)
- • The ramp from northbound I-35W to westbound I-94 is closed.
- • The ramp from 4th Ave. in Downtown Minneapolis near the Convention Center to westbound I-94 is closed to general traffic open to Emergency Vehicles Only.
Routes Currently on Detour
- • Inbound to downtown: 652, 761, 850, 852, 854 & 865; Maple Grove routes 780, 781, 782, 783 & 785
Current Traffic Restrictions
- • Eastbound and westbound traffic on I-94 is reduced to three lands (the inside lanes) resulting in no shoulder use for buses
- When MnDOT announces its plans for further construction stages, check back to this for updates as they become available. Better yet, stay in the know by signing up to have Rider Alerts on your route sent to you by email or text!
> Sign up to receive Rider Alerts for your route by email or text
> See updates on the project at MnDOT's website