Better Bus Routes – Route 17
Route 17 is a local bus route providing service in Minneapolis and St. Louis Park.
Key destinations include downtown Minneapolis, Uptown, and Knollwood Mall. Within downtown Minneapolis, the Route 17 connects to the METRO Blue and Green lines along 5th Street, METRO Orange Line along Marquette/2nd avenues, and METRO C and D lines along 7th and 8th streets.
View the project fact sheet
What is proposed?
Metro Transit is partnering with Minneapolis, St. Louis Park, and Hennepin County to improve service on Route 17. Proposed changes include:
- Consolidating bus stops for up to quarter-mile spacing (see map below for specific bus stop locations)
- Relocating select stops past a signalized intersection to reduce delays
- Expanding the no-parking zone around select stops to ensure buses can fully pull to the curb at the bus stop
- Adjusting the route alignment and schedule
- Adjust service along F branch to reverse-commute trips only
- Extend W branch to end at Central Ave.
- Installing concrete pads to improve accessibility for customers
- Installing new shelters at qualifying bus stops
Changes are planned for August 2023. Portions of Route 17 have also been identified as candidates for bus rapid transit implementation through Network Next. Improvements will be coordinated as each project advances.
How can I learn more?
Review the station locations and comment via email at: CommunityOutreach@metrotransit.org
Feb./March 2023: Community engagement
April/May 2023: Review input and finalize recommendations
Aug. 2023: Implement changes
Yumi Nagaoka, Community Outreach Coordinator
Laura Baenen, Senior Communications Specialist