D Line Update (E-newsletter)
Subscribe to D Line Update and get project news delivered to your inbox.
Along the corridor, other street and transit-related improvements are also in the planning process. The D Line project team coordinates with agency staff on matters related to the D Line, but the best way to learn more about these projects is through the linked project pages below.
Webber 44 (Hennepin County Road 152) reconstruction
Hennepin County, in coordination with the City of Minneapolis and Metro Transit, is preparing to reconstruct County Road 152 in north Minneapolis. The Webber 44 corridor reconstruction will include a segment of 44th Avenue east of Penn Avenue, along with Webber Parkway and a segment of Lyndale Avenue North. Construction of two D Line stations will be coordinated with this project. Construction is tentatively planned for 2020.
Emerson & Fremont pedestrian and bicycle improvements
In 2018, the City of Minneapolis improved the pedestrian conditions of Fremont and Emerson avenues in North Minneapolis between Plymouth and 44th Avenues N. This included the addition of pedestrian shelter medians and bumpouts to reduce crossing distances. A protected bikeway was installed between Plymouth and 33rd Avenues N. This planning process helped determine station locations along Emerson and Fremont Avenues.
Downtown station locations
Downtown station locations on 8th Street were determined during C Line planning as Metro Transit staff coordinated with City of Minneapolis staff on 8th Street Reconstruction. 8th Street will be completely rebuilt in downtown Minneapolis between Hennepin and Chicago Avenues in 2019-2020. The project will improve the pedestrian realm, transit operations and the physical infrastructure of the street. More information on downtown station locations can be found in the C Line Station Plan. On 7th Street, the D Line will serve stations built as part of the C Line project in 2018-2019.
Portland Avenue Crosstown bicycle and pedestrian link (Hennepin County Road 35)
Hennepin County, in coordination with City of Minneapolis, City of Richfield, Minnesota Department of Transportation and Metro Transit, is preparing to reconfigure a segment of Portland Avenue between 60th and 66th streets. Construction is tentatively planned for 2020.
Mall of America Transit Center and Station
Mall of America will be the southern endpoint of the D Line. A renovation of this transit center and station will occur in 2018. The goal of the renovation is to improve bus operations by reducing delays, provide better access between routes, create a more attractive waiting area and develop direct access into Mall of America from the transit center.
Media and news coverage
Public engagement plan
Metro Transit has developed a Public Engagement Plan that outlines how the D Line project team will engage and inform the public about the D Line. The Public Engagement Plan will have a special engagement focus on communities that are traditionally under-represented in transit planning processes.
Postcards and mailings
Preliminary Design Open House Postcard(Sept. 2019)
Postcard Mailed to Station Neighbors (Feb. 2018)
Metro Transit has presented or spoken with community members at these events and meetings. Please note that past presentations do not contain the most up-to-date information. If you would like current information for your station, please contact Cody Olson to arrange a presentation with your community or visit the specific station page on the Route and Stations page.
- Richfield Farmers Market - Sept. 28, 8 a.m.
- Preliminary Design Open House #2 - Sept. 18, 4 p.m.
- Preliminary Design Open House #1- Sept. 17, 3:30 p.m.
- Open Streets: West Broadway- Sept. 14, 10 a.m.
- Hamilton Manor Residents Council- Sept. 9, 2:00 p.m.
- West Broadway Farmers Market- Aug. 23, 3 p.m.
- Nokomis Farmers Market- Aug. 21, 4 p.m.
- Hamilton Manor Residents Council- Aug. 16, 3:30 p.m.
- Southgate Apartments Community Mixer- Aug. 8, 3 p.m.
- 1313 44th Ave N. Residents Council Meeting- Aug. 7, 12 p.m.
- Open Streets: Lake and Hiawatha- July 21, 10 a.m.
- Somali Independence Day- June 28, 12 p.m.
- Sips and Scoops (La Michoacana)- June 26, 6 p.m.
- Victory Neighborhood Ice Cream Social- June 25, 7 p.m.
- Folwell Neighborhood Night- June 20, 5 p.m.
- Diamond Lake Community Ice Cream Social- June 20, 4 p.m.
- Folwell Neighborhood Night- June 17, 6 p.m.
- Bloomington City Council Work Session- June 3, 6 p.m.
- Open Streets: Lyndale- June 2, 10 a.m.
- Jordan Week of Kindness- June 1, 10 a.m.
- Victory Neighborhood Association- May 7, 6:30 p.m.
- MayDay- May 5, 10 a.m.
- Hennepin County CHIP Collaborative- April 25, 5:30 p.m.
- Hamilton Manor Residents Meeting- April 8, 2 p.m.
- Phillips West Neighborhood Organization- April 4, 6 p.m.
- Hennepin County Resource Fair- March 12, 10 a.m.
- Webber 44 Open House #3- Feb. 13, 9 a.m.
- Nokomis Heights Lutheran Church- Nov. 18, 9 a.m.
- Cleveland Neighborhood Association Annual Gathering- Oct. 17, 6 p.m.
- Sierra Club North Star Chapter- Oct. 15, 6 p.m.
- Webber 44 Open House #2 - Sept. 20, 5:30 p.m.
- Open Streets West Broadway- Sept. 15, 11 a.m.
- 48th and Chicago Community Meeting- Sept. 13, 4:30 to 7 p.m.
- Public Comments: Email
- Public Comments: Written
- Public Comments: Boards
- Public Comments: Verbal
- Project FAQs
- Additional Answered Questions
- Webber-Camden Neighborhood Organization- Sept. 6, 6:30 p.m.
- Open Streets Franklin Avenue- Aug. 26, 10:30 a.m.
- Northside Residents Redevelopment Council- Aug. 13, 6:30 p.m.
- Norway House- Aug. 9, 1 p.m.
- Mall of America Groundbreaking- Aug. 2, 9 a.m.
- Metropolitan Council- July 25, 4 p.m.
- 48th and Chicago Businesses and Residents- July 23, 9 a.m.
- Hamilton Manor Resident's Meeting- July 9, 2 p.m
- Metropolitan Council Transportation Committee- June 25, 4 p.m.
- Webber 44 Open House- June 19, 4:30 p.m.
- Hawthorne Neighborhood Council- June 13, 6:30 p.m.
- West Broadway Coalition- June 1, 1 p.m.
- Lake Street Council- June 1, 11 a.m
- Minnesota Ovarian Cancer Alliance- May 31, 1 p.m.
- Metropolitan Council- May 9, 4 p.m.
- Midtown Phillips Neighborhood Association- April 24, 6 p.m.
- Metropolitan Council Transportation Committee- April 23, 4 p.m.
- Draft Station Plan Open Houses Flyer, Boards, Comment Form
- Brooklyn Center Transit Center - March 3 from 2 to 4 p.m.
- Wellstone International High School - Feb. 22 from 6 to 8 p.m.
- North Community High School - Feb. 21 from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Mall of America Transit Center - Feb. 17 from 2 to 4 p.m.
- City of Richfield Municipal Center - Feb. 15 from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Chicago Lake Transit Center - Feb. 13 from 3 to 5 p.m.
- Metropolitan Council Transportation Committee- Feb. 12, 4 p.m.
- Heritage Park Neighborhood Association- Nov. 2, 6 p.m.
- City of Richfield Transportation Commission- Nov. 1, 7 p.m.
- Chicago and 46th to Chicago and 56th Station Planning Community Workshop- October 2017
- Aerial Map: Chicago & 46th to Chicago & 56th
- Intersection Maps: Chicago & 46th to Chicago & 56th
- Station Design Board
- Route 5 Ridership Map
- Nokomis Farmer's Market, Sept. 13 from 4 to 7 p.m.
- West Broadway Open Streets, Sept. 9 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Richfield Farmer's Market, Sept. 9 from 8 a.m. to noon
- Take Back the Community Celebration, Sept. 2 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Nokomis Farmer's Market, Aug. 30 from 4 to 6 p.m.
- Franklin Open Streets, Sunday Aug. 27 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Elliot and Franklin
- Field Regina Northrop Board of Directors Meeting- Aug. 16, 6 p.m.
- Webber Park Library Workshop- Aug. 15, 4 - 6 p.m.
- Downtown Minneapolis Business Block Club- July 26, 11:30 a.m.
- City of Richfield City Council Work Session- July 25, 5:30 p.m
- Lake Street/Minnehaha Open Streets - July 23, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. along Lake Street
- Jordan Week of Kindness- July 22, 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., 30th Ave N and Morgan
- Hennepin County Bicycle Advisory Committee Meeting- July 17, 6 p.m.
- City of Richfield Transportation Commission - July 12, 6 p.m.
- Metropolitan Council Transportation Committee- July 10, 4 p.m.
- Midtown Phillips Community Meeting - June 27, 6:30 to 8 p.m. at Open Arms of Minnesota
- Ventura Village General Membership Meeting - June 14, 7 p.m.
- Phillips West Neighborhood Organization Meeting - June 1, 2400 Park Ave S
- Hale-Page-Diamond Lake Board Meeting - May 22, 7 p.m. at 5144 13th Ave S
- Elliot Park Neighborhood BLUH Meeting - May 18, 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Elliot Park Recreation Center
- May Day Festival - May 7, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Powderhorn Park
- Field Regina Northrop Annual Meeting - April 27, 6:30 p.m. at McRae Park
- Elliot Park Earth Fest - April 20, 4 to 6:30 p.m. at Elliot Park
- Midtown Phillips Annual Meeting - February 28 at Andersen School