Talking to kids about trains
Kids love trains and are bound to be curious about the tracks and light-rail trains. It's important that they are taught to respect the rules that go along with them.
Parents: Talk to your children about keeping a safe distance from trains and tracks.
- It’s okay to play with toy trains at home. It's not okay to play on or near light rail tracks EVER.
- The overhead wires that power the train are extremely dangerous when touched. Do not fly kites near these wires or touch them with anything.
- Always step over the tracks – don't ride scooters, skateboards, or bikes over the tracks.
- Do not walk on the rails. Rails are slippery and switches are dangerous.
- Never throw things at passing trains or put anything on the tracks.
Metro Transit offers free safety presentations for organizations and schools. Learn how to arrange a presentation.