Better Bus Routes – Route 3
Route 3 is a local bus route providing service in Minneapolis and St. Paul. It operates east-west between downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul along Como Avenue and Rice Street, with one branch serving Maryland Avenue while the other operates on Energy Park Drive and Front Street.
In addition to the two downtowns, other key destinations include the University of Minnesota and Como Park. Route 3 also connects to the METRO Green Line, METRO A Line and future METRO Gold Line in downtown St. Paul. Click here for more background on Route 3.
What is proposed?
Metro Transit is partnering with the cities of St. Paul and Minneapolis, as well as Ramsey and Hennepin counties, to improve service on Route 3. Proposed changes include:
- Consolidating bus stops for up to quarter-mile spacing (see map below for specific bus stop locations)
- Relocating select stops past a signalized intersection to reduce delays
- Expanding the no-parking zone around select stops to ensure buses can fully pull to the curb at the bus stop
- Adjusting the route alignment and schedule, including:
- Replacing the branch that serves Elm and Kasota with a different route
- Shifting the route in downtown Minneapolis from 3rd and 4th streets to Washington Avenue
- Extending Route 3 to serve the North Loop
- Installing concrete pads to improve accessibility for customers
- Installing new shelters at qualifying bus stops
These changes are planned for late summer 2021. Portions of Route 3 have also been identified as candidates for BRT implementation between 2025 to 2030 through Network Next. Improvements will be coordinated as each project advances.
How can I learn more?
- Watch this video about the proposed changes
- Review the station locations below
- Comment on social media posts:
- Feb./March 2021: Community engagement
- April/May 2021: Review input and finalize recommendations
- Aug./Sept. 2021: Implement changes
St. Paul communities
Doug Cook, Community Outreach Coordinator
Minneapolis and University of Minnesota communities
Yumi Nagaoka, Community Outreach Coordinator
Laura Baenen, Senior Communications Specialist