Residents are encouraged to provide feedback through the end of November on a draft plan that will guide future expansion of Metro Transit’s local and express bus service.
The draft Service Improvement Plan prioritizes 122 proposed improvements to be made through 2030 as funding is available. Improvements will add service to existing routes, enhance connectivity and introduce more reverse commute options. The plan also includes 11 arterial Bus Rapid Transit lines that will provide faster, more frequent service in corridors with strong transit demand. No significant reductions to existing service are proposed.
“Strong express and local bus service is critical to connecting residents to economic and recreational opportunities,” General Manager Brian Lamb said. “The draft Service Improvement Plan provides a strong vision that builds on our existing network and will make our region better-connected than ever.”
Details about the proposed improvements are available at metrotransit.org/sip. Copies will be available at all county libraries and summary information will be provided on board all Metro Transit buses.
Customer surveys, regional stakeholder input and other feedback Metro Transit has received about bus service informed the draft Service Improvement Plan. Improvements were prioritized based on productivity, social equity and system connectivity criteria.
Comments received through the end of November will be considered before the plan is adopted by the Metropolitan Council in early 2015.
To comment on the plan, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, send a letter to 560 N. Sixth Ave., Minneapolis, MN, 55411 or call 651-602-1500. Feedback can also be provided at a series of public meetings that will be held at the following dates and times:
- > Wednesday, Nov. 5, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., at the Hennepin County Central Library, 300 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis. Served by the METRO Blue Line, METRO Green Line and multiple bus routes.
- > Saturday, Nov. 8, 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., North Community YMCA, 1711 W. Broadway Ave., Minneapolis. Served by Route 14.
- > Thursday, Nov. 13, 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Hennepin County Southdale Library, 7001 York Ave. S., Edina. Served by routes 6 and 538.
- > Saturday, Nov. 15, 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., Conway Recreation Center, 2090 Conway Ave., St. Paul. Served by routes 63, 70, 74, 80 and 219.
- > Monday, Nov. 17, 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Anoka County Northtown Central Library, 711 County Hwy. 10 NE, Blaine.
A public hearing on the draft Service Improvement Plan will be held on Tuesday, Nov. 18, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., in the Metropolitan Council Chambers, 390 N. Robert St., St. Paul.
For trip planning assistance call 612-373-3333 or use the online Trip Planner available at metrotransit.org.
Contact: Drew Kerr, Public Relations Specialist, 612-349-7758, email@example.com