I-35W construction - Ride it out with us!
Know how to navigate your way to, through and from downtown during the ongoing I-35W construction project. All road traffic is affected but we minimize stress by getting you downtown and back on the bus or the Blue Line. Many routes have transit advantages throughout the project, making the move from a car to a bus or train a simple decision.
Riding with Metro Transit has advantages!
- Additional northbound routes will now remain on I-35W into downtown Minneapolis (routes 146, 578, and 597).
- All northbound routes have now returned to I-35W into downtown Minneapolis (except routes 133 & 135).
- Direct southbound access to I-35W via a transit-only entrance in downtown; except routes 133 & 135.
- Service levels have been increased up to 40 percent on affected routes; with standby buses and new trips added during morning and evening rush hours
- Northbound HOV lane access for buses
- Multiple Park & Rides within the corridor
- Free Wi-Fi on buses and light rail
What do I do as a regular bus rider?
1. Sign-up to receive Rider Alerts by text or email regarding your particular route. Stay in the know early so you can plan accordingly as construction continues.
SIGN UP NOW FOR RIDER ALERTS
2. Know your route detour and any changes to where you board.
Route 535 Weekend Service - Route 535, the future METRO Orange line, has 30-minute service on the weekend between downtown and Bloomington Transit Center. View the schedule here.
NEW for Stage 3
Construction along the I-35W corridor will enter a new stage, allowing for some improvements to our detoured routes.
Northbound buses now remain on I-35W into downtown Minneapolis.
On southbound trips, riders can anticipate many currently detoured routes to have direct access to I-35W via a transit-only entrance in downtown (except Routes 133 & 135). This will improve speed and reliability for commutes after the work day.
Due to the return to I-35W, Routes 146, 535, 578 and 597 will no longer stop on Blaisdell at Lake Street. As an alternative, riders may board southbound Routes 535, 578 and 597 at I-35W/46th Street Station.
Try alternate work strategies during the work week
Some alternatives are:
- Starting work earlier or later than usual. Earlier and later express bus trips are being added.
- Work from home or remote office at least one day a week.
- Use your bike along with a Metro Transit route. All buses and trains have free bike racks.
We anticipate many new customers on either detoured bus service or the Blue Line during the I-35W construction project and we are here to help!
- Ask your employer about Metropass and enroll if available.
- Buy a Go-To Card – just one touch to a reader and you’re ready to ride.
- Another way to pay includes our handy mobile app. With the free app, you can plan your trip, see arrival information for buses and trains and buy transit tickets all on the go.
- Call 612-373-3333, to have a representative from our Transit Information Center help plan your trip.
As a new rider, get to know some of the specific resources that can help make the construction season commute less stressful.
Learn more about: