Our buses, trains, and railways need you!
Become either a vehicle technician who works on buses, light rail, or commuter rail vehicles or a maintenance of way technician for our tracks and railway systems. You’ll be investing not only in a rewarding career but also in the future of a great transit system. These maintenance careers ensure that Metro Transit remains a vital part of what keeps the metro moving and growing. Starting pay ranges from $29.72/hr. to $41/hr. depending on position with a $4,000 hiring bonus for all positions.
$4,000 Hiring Bonus
- $2,000 after 30 days of employment
- $2,000 after probation completion (6 months)
Vehicle mechanic technician positions
Mechanic Technicians diagnose, repair, and provide preventive maintenance on Metro Transit’s buses, trains, cars, trucks, and equipment. They also remanufacture and rebuild components to the manufactures’ specifications; fabricate/machine/design parts as needed and provide welding and painting services. A $1,500 initial tool allowance is given upon completion of probation, with $600 annually for ongoing equipment/tool needs. Starting pay begins at $30.54 an hour.
Apply now here!
Maintenance of Way (Systems Maintenance) positions
This position is an overnight shift and provides track maintenance and inspection activities that comply with the safety requirements prescribed in the US Department of Transportation and Metro Transit rules and practices. Duties include inspection, repairs, and replacement of tracks. Starting pay begins at $29.72 an hour.
Apply now for a Track Maintainer position!
Signals Technicians perform testing, maintenance, repair, and installation of electronic systems and equipment associated with light rail wayside signal systems and subsystems. Starting pay begins at $31.65 an hour.
Apply now for a Signals Technician position!
Traction Power Maintainer
This position maintains overhead catenary systems for light rail and their individual components to the highest applicable standards; maintains traction power systems including substations and provides a safe and reliable service to customers; and maintains power distribution equipment for Maintenance of Way building, tunnels, and passenger stations. Starting pay begins at $41 an hour.
Apply now for a Traction Power Maintainer position!
We believe our employees are a key to our agency's success! In order to attract and retain high quality employees, the Council provides a highly competitive benefits package both in choice and coverage levels. Some highlights about our benefits are listed below:
- Guaranteed monthly retirement income through Minnesota State Retirement System pension fund
- Opportunity to save additional funds for retirement on a tax-deferred basis through a voluntary deferred compensation (457) plan
- Two or more medical plans from which to choose, with employer contribution towards premiums over 80%
- Dental insurance, life insurance and vision insurance
The following benefits are provided to all employees as part of working for the Council. You will have access to free:
- Well@Work clinic
- Bus/rail pass valued at over $1200 per year
- Parking at many job locations
- Fitness centers at many job locations
- Employee Assistance Program
- Extensive health and wellness programs and resources