Through May 6, Nice Ride is offering a free 30-day membership to essential healthcare workers. Learn more here.
How do I travel with my bike on the bus/train?
All Metro Transit buses and trains have bike racks so you can pedal for part of your trip and ride for the rest. Every bus has a bike rack on the front bumper that accommodates two bikes. There are four bike racks inside each light rail car and spaces for two bikes on every Northstar train car. In addition, there are bike racks and lockers at most stations.
- Instructions — See step-by-step instructions (for a bus or a train) or practice loading your bicycle on a rack when a bus is between trips or at less-busy times, such as midday, evenings or on weekends. To try a bus bike rack without worrying about traffic or delaying other bus riders, practice racks are available at central Twin Cities locations.
- What's allowed — Only two-wheeled, non-motorized bikes are permitted.
- Racks will hold many wheel and frame sizes, including children’s bikes.
- Lost & Found — Call Metro Transit Lost & Found at 612-373-3333 if you have left your bicycle on a bus or train.
- Liability — Metro Transit is not liable for damage to bicycles, except if Metro Transit is found to be negligent or at fault in an accident. Theft, damage, injury while loading and unloading, acts by a third party and all other incidents are solely the responsibility of the bicyclist and not Metro Transit.
- How to use racks — There is no extra charge to use a rack and they're easy to use – simple instructions are printed on the rack.
Where can I find bike lockers?
Bike lockers are available at many Park & Ride lots, rail stations and other Twin Cities locations. Get more information on locker rental.
New locker rentals are currently suspended. Locker rentals will resume when the stay at home order is lifted.
Annual rental (Feb. 1 through Jan. 31) costs $48 plus a refundable $40 damage deposit. Rental fee will be reduced by $4 for each month into the term but month-to-month rental is not available.
Lockers are located at light rail and Northstar stations and at Metro Transit, MVTA and Anoka County Park & Ride lots. They are also available through the City of Minneapolis, the University of Minnesota and some employers in the metro area.
Metro Transit Bike & Ride facilities
Our Bike & Ride facilities allow you to park your bike in a secure, enclosed structure with controlled access. Get more information on Bike & Ride.