Nicollet Mall buses rerouted to Hennepin Avenue
Metro Transit has rerouted all Nicollet Mall buses to Hennepin Avenue, providing an improved customer experience for the remainder of the City of Minneapolis' Nicollet Mall project.
You can now board all Nicollet Mall buses (routes 10, 11, 17, 18, 25, 59 and 568) on Hennepin Avenue between 10th Street and Washington Avenue.
|Buses traveling this direction
||Board at these intersections
|All northbound and eastbound buses
On LaSalle at 12th St.
On 11th St. at Harmon Pl.
On Hennepin Ave. at 9th St., 7th St., 5th St., 4th St., 3rd St. or Washington Ave.
|All southbound and westbound buses
On Hennepin Ave. at Washington Ave., 3rd St., 4th St., 5th St., 7th St., 8th St., or 10th St.
On 12th St. at Yale
See map below for details on the new routing:
Hennepin Avenue reroute Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Why is the reroute happening?
- A: • Earlier this year, as construction began on Nicollet Mall, buses were forced to detour onto 3rd Avenue, which we believed would be the best solution for our riders.
- •The City will begin installing bike lanes on 3rd Avenue in early 2016. Rerouting buses to Hennepin provides better customer amenities including heated shelters that could not be added on the current detoured route.
- •The rerouting to Hennepin Avenue is expected to last for the duration of the city’s construction work on Nicollet Mall – through 2017. Additional information can be found at nicolletmallproject.com.
Q: What are the advantages to this reroute?
- A: • Better and more shelters, most include heat and lights.
- • New bus stop signs with route & stop numbers.
- • Increased police and ambassador presence.
Q: Will schedules change?
- A: Schedules will only reflect updated maps and Hennepin Avenue timepoints. The scheduled times for bus departures are estimates based upon the 3rd Avenue routing, which will not be updated until March. Customers may see a difference between the scheduled time and when buses actually arrive.
Q: Will NexTrip be updated to reflect the reroute?
- A: Customers can look up NexTrip times for the stops along Hennepin. Nicollet Mall buses will use the same stop numbers as the Hennepin buses currently use. Because the underlying schedules will not be updated until March it is important to note that these times are only estimates.
Q: Why can’t the schedules be updated sooner?
- A: We are unsure of the amount of time it will take buses to travel along Hennepin Avenue due to the increased volume of buses on this street. Schedules will be updated in March to reflect the appropriate amount of time that it takes buses to travel on Hennepin Avenue.
Q. What about Free Ride Buses?
- A. Customers can ride for free by boarding a northbound Route 18 between Nicollet & Grant to Hennepin & 3rd Street or southbound Routes 10 or 59 between Hennepin & 3rd Street and the Convention Center.
Q: How can customers help?
- A: Because there are now more buses on Hennepin Avenue, it’s important to keep them moving efficiently and to do that, customers need to get on and off buses quickly.
- For the fastest boarding, customers should have their fare payment ready prior to the bus arriving and pay with a Go-To Card. Customers should exit through the back door – and if possible, not wait until the bus arrives at the stop to get out of their seats to reach the back door.