The A Line: Snelling Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)
A new kind of bus service is coming to Snelling Avenue & Ford Parkway!
The A Line is a new kind of bus service for the Twin Cities’ busiest urban streets. Bus rapid transit – or BRT – is a package of transit enhancements that adds up to a faster trip and an improved experience.
• Frequent service: Service so frequent you won’t need a schedule, along with fewer stops so you’ll be moving more of the time
• Train-like features: You’ll pay your fare before you get on for faster boarding and wait at enhanced stations
• Enhanced stations with more amenities: Real-time departure signs so you’ll always know when the bus is coming, enhanced maps and signage
• Enhanced security: Stations with cameras and emergency phones, fare enforcement by Transit Police and improved lighting
• Specialized vehicles: Unique, recognizable buses with wider aisles and additional doors so more people can get on and off easily
The A Line will connect the Twin Cities’ two light-rail lines with the busy Snelling Avenue commercial corridor and several popular destinations, including Hamline University, Macalester College, Highland Village, Rosedale Shopping Center, Minnehaha Park and Midway Shopping Center.
Project development has been underway for several years. The A Line is scheduled for construction in 2015 and opening in 2016.