The A Line: Snelling Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)
A new kind of bus service is in construction and coming to
Snelling Avenue, Ford Parkway & 46th Street in 2016!
The A Line is a new kind of bus service for the Twin Cities’ busiest urban streets. Bus Rapid Transit – or BRT – is a package of transit enhancements that adds up to a faster trip and an improved experience.
• Frequent service: Service so frequent you won’t need a schedule, along with fewer stops so you’ll be moving more of the time
• Train-like features: You’ll pay your fare before you get on for faster boarding and you'll wait at enhanced stations
• Enhanced stations with more amenities: Real-time departure signs so you’ll always know when the bus is coming, enhanced maps and signage
• Enhanced security: Stations with cameras and emergency phones, fare enforcement by Transit Police and improved lighting
• Specialized vehicles: Unique, recognizable buses with wider aisles and wider back door so more people can get on and off easily
The A Line will connect the Twin Cities’ two METRO light-rail lines with the busy Snelling Avenue commercial corridor and several popular destinations, including Hamline University, Macalester College, Highland Village, Rosedale Center, HarMar Mall, Minnehaha Park and the Midway area.
Project development has been underway for several years. The A Line is in construction and will open in 2016.